Friday, July 18, 2014

DAY 41 JULY 5 BELGRADE, SERBIA

Family Get Together to see Boca and Bubba....or DEATH BY MEAT?


Cousin Marija picks us up....first stop, her parents apt in Novi Belgrade.

A welcome Schlivo is required as a first time visitor.  Staka, Dragan's wife, presents the homemade (of course and required) walnut flavored schlivo.  This liquid will get your morning started...


Marija has 2 sisters..-Dragana and Smiljama.   Dragana and Darko are getting married in Oct....I loved the idea of 2 wedding invitations....one for the old folks and one for the young folks...very hip.



Summing family gathering in Surchin
This tiny area outside of Novi Belgrade is a place the city folk go to get back to their roots and chillax.  More or less a weekend house, with a little land where they can have a garden, grill and drink schlivovitz.  This is a place where the Serbian fixation on meat is realised.  So there Bubs, it's in my DNA.  A meal without meat is...a snack.  Most weekends during the summer is celebrated like a mini Slava (praising your respective family Patron Saint). 


 Dragon and his grandson, Vladimir, enjoy walking Bubs around the garden.





Bubs was in charge of picture taking....how many plant pictures does one need?



Svetlana, Dragon's sister, share the house (kind of a duplex) and a little fun spirited competitive garden growing.



Staka and Sonja make sure all veggies are in order.

The Meric clan comes from around the Belgrade area to see Boca and Bubs...my grandfather (I learn that his real name is Jandre not Jovo/John) had 7 brothers and sisters-Todar, George, Dushan, Anka, Soka, Mara and Stoya.  I guess his parents, Bude and Milica, stayed quite busy.     The 3 oldest kids (my Deda and 2 brothers went to the US. early 1900's)- 2 stayed and one returned.  The others all remained here and now I understand how I have my very large Serbian family.


Here starts the DEATH BY CVEPS...


Milan and Boca yuk it up...again and again.  Poor guy has had 2 heart surgeries and my age....


Milan, it may have something to do with the CVEP consumption...


Pass the CVEP'S cousin...

and great aunt Desa and great uncle Nikica, along with cousin ... most gracious Tetka made me a crocheted doily.  Just like my Baba made for me....


and a wonderful day was had by all...truly in LOVING COLOR.


Bubs and Boca felt the love, over and over.  What a beautiful, kind and loving family.  Amen